In the construction industry, drywall is used to build large-scale construction and remodeling existing projects. Workers wear a mask while constructing the drywall, but even though, they exposed to drywall dust. It’s because they deal with it on a regular basis. They install it and tear it off while necessary. Unfortunately, the dust coming from the dried joint compound is not the drywall itself; rather it contains different industrial minerals such as silica, talc, mica, and gypsum. It can trigger serious health problems if inhaled, and sometimes fatal.
Workers are advised to wear protective gears during sanding. Even so, they experience the fatal symptoms. Here in this article, we are going to discuss the inhaling symptoms and is there any possible treatment for inhaling drywall dust or not.
|Tradespro 830914 14-Inch Heavy Duty Pipe Wrench , Yellow30||716 Reviews||$14.97||Buy on Amazon|
|RIDGID 31110 Model 836 Aluminum Straight Pipe Wrench, 36-inch Plumbing Wrench30||222 Reviews||$189.48||Buy on Amazon|
|Bahco 9072 RP US Adjustable/Pipe Wrench Ergo, 10-Inch, Black30||209 Reviews||$31.49||Buy on Amazon|
|Bahco 141 Universal Pipe Wrench, 11-Inch30||337 Reviews||$48.54||Buy on Amazon|
|RIDGID 31100 Model 818 Aluminum Straight Pipe Wrench, 18-inch Plumbing Wrench30||1,171 Reviews||$61.55 $55.19||Buy on Amazon|
Symptoms of Inhaling Drywall Dust
Small filaments in your bronchial tubes and nose may trap tiny dust parts, but they cannot block all the particulates in clouds drywall sanding dust. Any amount of dust inhaling isn’t healthy at all, but the more you inhale, the more you likely to notice the physical symptoms. If you smoke or have other respiratory disorders, these symptoms can be worsening with repeated exposure.
Instantly discomfort can occur due to the inhaling the drywall dust. While inhaling, dust can lead to acute symptoms including,
- Lung, throat, and nose irritation
- Sore throat
- Watery eyes
From a high level of experience to the dust, choking and chronic conditions can happen.
“Drywall dust contains crystalline silica and mica”, both are named as dangerous elements by OSHA–as stated by a Clean Air America company in Ohio. These components are found in the joint compound that fills up with seams and nails heads that set the drywall in place. While the compound mud is sanded, the mica and crystalline silica is discharge into the fresh air. While inhaled, silica dust in the body may cause the condition called Silicosis. Three types of symptoms can occur,
- Intense: Symptoms can occur a few weeks or up to 2 years after the contact of a large amount of silica.
- Chronic: Sometimes a problem may not arise after the decades of a low amount of exposure. It can be mild at first and then slowly worsen the conditions.
- Rapid: Exposure of a heavy amount of silica, you will notice the signs after 5 to 10 years. In several cases, breathing becomes harder and can lead you to death from tuberculosis and lung disease.
In addition to Silicosis, there are other health conditions can happen that can be the result of inhaling silica dust for the long term. These diseases can become mild to fatal. They are,
- Lung cancer
Other than Silicosis, there are many health conditions can happen as well. These include,
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Kidney Disease
The risk of kidney, renal, and tuberculosis are increased with the exposure level of crystalline silica.
Precaution Use as Treatment
Actually, total cures of these diseases are basically nothing. Even so, you can follow such precautions as treatment of drywall dust inhalation. The following treatment may help you,
- A person who experience irritation, choking or coughing should be moved the place and spend some time in the fresh air. If the discomfort doesn’t subside, the person should contact a doctor to be tested for more chronic conditions.
- Once the dust deep in your body it can only be washed by surgically an extraordinary procedure. This is why it’s better to use a mask.
- Cheap musk can’t filter out the dust particles. So, look for a musk labeling of “N95” meaning the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, a division that certified that the mask can block 95 percent of airy components. You can get more protection form full or half face silicone respiratory mask. Plus, this will come as a replaceable filter.
Drywall dust is really harmful while you inhaled in a large number of quantities over a period of time. So, be careful while sanding the drywall and use some precaution as the safety of your health. It’s because short-term symptoms can be treated by doctors but long-terms ones can be the cause of fatal disease. And most importantly, there is no possible cure of such disease. Make sure use this above information for safer construction conditions and protect your health from various diseases.